IMI pool of patient experts
IMI has involved patients in its projects and activities since the very beginning. Now, IMI plans to create a pool of patient experts to strengthen the role and voice of patients in IMI activities at both strategic and operational levels. Patients who are part of the pool would be invited on an ad hoc basis to:
- provide input on IMI’s scientific strategy (annual priorities, topic development etc.), for example by taking part in early consultations / workshops, SGG meetings, etc.;
- participate in panels to review project proposals;
- participate in reviews of ongoing and closed projects;
- review the content of documents prepared for patients and the general public;
- participate in IMI events.
How to apply
Patients (and family members and carers) who wish to be part of the pool should submit an Expression of Interest via this form.
Basic information on the pool is given below, but we strongly recommend that you read this document before completing the form.
The basic criteria for inclusion in the pool are:
- being a patient (or a family member or carer of a patient) with a chronic / lifelong illness or condition;
- being a resident of an EU Member State, a country that is associated with the EU’s research programme Horizon 2020, or the WHO European Region
- having a specific interest in one of the disease areas featured in IMI’s Strategic Research Agenda;
- a working knowledge of English.
Deadline for submitting expressions of interest: 16 July 2019 at 17:00 CEST (Central European Summer Time / Brussels time)
All applicants who meet these basic requirements will be added to the pool. When a task comes up at IMI that would benefit from patient/carer input, IMI will see which patients/carers in the pool are the best fit for that task. This is why applicants are also asked to detail their knowledge and experience of research and innovation activities; drug development; ethics; the pharmaceutical sector; IMI / public-private partnerships; working with different stakeholders in medicines development. All patients / carers in the pool will carry out their tasks in their personal capacity.
Benefits of becoming a member of the pool include the opportunity to:
- influence IMI’s activities on both strategic and operational levels;
- work alongside experts from other sectors (academia, industry, regulatory, etc.);
- raise the profile of patients as equal partners in research in the IMI community and beyond;
- learn first-hand about the latest research developments in your disease area.
Find out more
More information on the criteria for inclusion in the pool, how to apply, and the kinds of tasks participants could expect to be involved in, can be found in this document. We strongly recommend that you read this before completing the form.
In addition, IMI held a webinar for people interested in joining the pool on Tuesday 18 June.
If you have any questions about the pool of patient experts, or IMI’s patient engagement work in general, don’t hesitate to contact us via patients[AT]imi.europa.eu
Details of IMI's data protection policy can be found here.